Last month 15 Christian organizations, including MCC U.S., sent a briefing paper to all members of Congress and to the White House calling for U.S. policies that promote peace, justice and equality for Israelis and Palestinians.
The paper states, “Regardless of the underlying political governance structures, equal rights and opportunities must be assured for all people in the region—not someday based on an idea of future negotiations, but as a fundamental human right today.”
The paper describes deteriorating conditions in the region and examples of unequal systems that deprive Palestinians of basic rights. It calls on Congress and the administration to:
- Urge the Israeli government to immediately take action to secure an end to the occupation and all discriminatory policies resulting from the occupation;
- Apply existing human rights conditions to all recipients of U.S. security assistance consistently;
- Uphold the rights and abilities of human rights organizations to do their work;
- Urge Israeli and Palestinian leaders to uphold the values of peace, justice and equal rights for all peoples; and
- Protect the rights of U.S. citizens seeking to carry out nonviolent economic protests.
Faith reflection: The paper concludes, “We fervently pray for a just and peaceful resolution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, and look forward to working with Congress and the administration to support policies that promote equality for all people in the region.” Individually and as a congregation, offer prayers for peace as you contact Congress (Psalm 122:6-9).
Action: Contact your senators and representative today in support of the call for peace, justice and equality.
Alert created March 16, 2017 by Rachelle Lyndaker Schlabach, based on one issued by the Faith Forum on Middle East Policy, a coalition of which the MCC U.S. Washington Office is a member.
Sign up for action alerts from the MCC U.S. Washington Office here.