- The U.S. is the only country in the world that allows children to get life in prison.
- 2,500 juveniles are serving life without parole in the U.S. as of 2012
- African-American youth are serving life without parole at about 10 times the rate of white youth.
- African-American children are 62% of the youth prosecuted in the adult system and are nine times more likely than white youth to receive an adult prison sentence. Latino children are 43% more likely than white youth to be transferred to the adult system.
- Only about one-fourth of youth in prison today committed violent offenses.
Source: Equal Justice Under Law