- Call the White House TODAY at 1-866-961-4293 (sample script below) and ask that the raids be stopped immediately.
- Become a sanctuary church or support families in sanctuary at other locations.
- Call in to a webinar on Monday, Jan. 11, at 4:00 pm EST.
Background: On January 2, the Obama administration began a series of raids to deport Central American families, mostly mothers and children who were victims of persecution and violence in their home countries. These families came to the U.S. seeking protection (asylum). Read more.
Faith reflection: The Old Testament encourages us to love the migrant among us as ourselves (Leviticus 19:34). The New Testament tells us that how we treat (or mistreat) a migrant is how we treat Jesus himself (Matthew 25:31-46).
Additional resources: washingtonmemo.org/ca-raids
- Call the White House TODAY at 1-866-961-4293 and ask that the raids be stopped immediately (you can also call the White House Comment Line directly at 1-888-907-2053).
– Sample script –
“I’m from City, State, Congregation/Community and as a person of faith, I urge President Obama to immediately STOP the raids to deport Central American children and families. Many of these refugees are fleeing violence and should have access to lawyers so that they can apply for asylum and protection in the United States.”
- Become a sanctuary church or support families in sanctuary at other locations (congregations around the country are offering their churches as places of refuge for families in danger of being deported; find out more at sanctuary2014.org).
- Call in to a webinar on Monday, Jan. 11, at 4:00 pm EST. RSVP now for webinar link and call-in number.
Keep up the pressure on social media!
Ex: .@WhiteHouse As a person of faith I am OPPOSED to your plans to deport Central American kids and families who need PROTECTION. #Not1More
Alert prepared by Tammy Alexander, Senior Legislative Associate for Domestic Affairs, January 6, 2016. Adapted from an alert sent by the Interfaith Immigration Coalition.
The MCC U.S. Washington Office High School Essay Contest is accepting entries until Jan. 23, 2016. Encourage Anabaptist youth to participate.
Did you receive this alert from a friend? Sign up for action alerts from the MCC U.S. Washington Office here.